Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Way I See It # 347

Last night was extremely exhausting.

It was round 1 of the recruitment process, and the way it went down was like this:
I got there at 5 and the "Parties" started at 5:30. Alphabetically formed into groups we visit a party for each sorority every 20 minutes. Before the first party I felt sort of out of place. The director of the Panhellenic Council at VCU is a very.... ditsy.... woman. She dumbs herself down to relate to us "Girlies" and makes generalizations about the female sex. I don't really like her. Before my first party at Phi Mu I grab a mint (Which they provided an generous amounts) and waited around in the Commons Theatre. Everyone else seemed to think it was natural to bring their entire make-up drawer. I suddenly felt nervous. Did I look okay? I forgot to brush my teeth.... Was this really going to be as exhausting as they said it was going to be?

Parties: A room where the Sorority sets up posters about Sisterhood, Scholarship, Socials, and Philanthropy, and where you mingle with sisters and are intoduced to everyone. Usually there is a slideshow, extremely loud chanting, and singing/crying of the already initiated sisters.


Time to get in my group for the Phi Mu party.
I get in line, and it turns out I'm dead fucking last. not a bad thing, because now I'll remember where I am. The Director talks to us like children and begs us to remember the first letter of our last names, I want to tell her that I have a Brain and she can stop talking already.
I'm behind a little girl (Literally, she looks like she's 10) named Ha (she's asian). I don't know what crawled up her ass, but she was uptight the entire night. making fun of everyone, calling people stupid, and bashing all of the sororities but one (AOPi). She also is trying to convince me that she parties it up all weekend and gets fabulous grades. She does all of her homework on Friday night before 11 and then goes out and gets "faced". I don't believe her. I say "It's unusual that people do their homework on a friday, Sunday is the day to study", and then she said, "Well, I get really good grades." and I said, "So do I. and I only study on Sunday."

I don't know if I like her.

I was glad that I wasn't the only sophomore, but it turns out that I was only 1 of 2 girls that are majoring in Anthroplogy. Actually..... more about that later.

Phi Mu was intense, loud, and Pink. But the girls was awesome and really wanted to know about me and what I was interested in. They kept saying "Get it Girl!" when I talked about my major and what I want to do with my life. I liked them a lot, I met almost everyone, but they're the most expensive, and since I'm presumably paying for it all, I don't think it's an affordable choice for me.

The next group was ASA.
I hated them. I thought I would actually like them, but oh my god.
Me: "I'm a sophomore, and I'm majoring in Anthropology"
ASA Girl: "What? Sorry.... I don't think I heard that"
Me: "Anthropology"
ASA Girl: "Oh.... I don't even know what that is!"
Me: "It's the study of people"
ASA Girl: "Oh... That sounds.... interesting. Let me Intoduce you to Bri"
BRi: "Hi! I'm Bri! What are you studying?"
Me: "Hi, I'm Lisa, I'm Studying Anthropology"
Bri: "Oh my god, what even is that?"

That hardest part about ASA was that they had nothing to say. I would say my name, major, and where I'm living, and then they would not say anything, and just move me to another person.
Ew ick.

AOPi was next. They're are brand new, and this year's pledge class will be the first. While they were very nice, and said some interesting stuff about scholarship and showed me a pin that you get if you have the Highest GPA (A pin with rubies and pearls! Suck it!), they seemed desperate for members, so they didn't rank very high on my list.

Throughout the night every sorority had a sister that would link arms with you and walk with you to your seat, so I figured AOPi would do the same, but they apparently didn't and it turned into an awkward gross handshake. :/

Alpha Gamma Delta was next.
I LOVED IT.
They were smart, interesting, funny, wanted to hear what I had to say, and were just like me. I couldn't believe how well I got along with everyone. They have the highest GPA in the whole Panhellenic community so they can balance sister stuff with school work, and they do really fun shit that I want to do. They aren't too expensive, but they have payment plans that are workable.
I loved it. Definitely made the top of my list.

Next was Alpha Epsilon Phi, the Jewish Sorority.
I loved the girls, but this one just wasn't for me. I've met all of them before at the Jewish Frat, so I want to move into other circles.

Next was Sigma Sigma Sigma
So there's a lot of bad rep about Tri Sig, and understandable, the head of recruitment that I met last night was definitely that girl at that one Basketball game (!!!). But the girl I had was really really nice, and so were all the other girls. And because of that I put them in the middle rank.

Phi Sigma Sigma.
Boring. SO BORING. Ugh, I had heard bad things from girls who had gone to that party earlier in the night, and they were right. All the girls spoke softly, looked dull, and didn't impress me. Just not for me. They were just before ASA at the bottom of my list.


I was so exhausted by the end. It's hard to hold a smile straight for 30 minutes 7 times, and by the end of the night I felt my cheek twitching. I hadn't eaten, and it was hard because you were standing the whole time.


But it was better than I had expected. Today is the second round, starting at 1 pm, so I have about 2 hours. It's the Philanthropy round where we will be "crafting" and making something for a charity. This may be tie dye, or something of that nature. I guess I should wear old clothes. I only visit four sororities today as the elimination continues, and only 2 tomorrow, and then I pick which one I want tomorrow afternoon. I have to remember that I have homework to do! Fuck!

No comments: