Monday, February 16, 2009

The Way I See It # 495

First, A Story:

I was sitting in the commons this afternoon, and after having finished my lunch of Alpine Bagel, I decided to start some reading for my Ethics class. I noticed a girl I recognized from my Linguistics class last semester sit down near me, and didn't really think anything of it. As I was reading, a quote caught my eye, and I decided to write it down so I would remember it. The quote was "All humans will be judged on the good things they might have enjoyed, but did not". It is a rabbinic saying, and I think it's really wonderful. When I'm done writing it in ink on my wrist I look up and I see that this girl I recognized is staring at me, so I look back down and continue reading. Out of the corner of my eye I see her get up and leave. Whatever, that's normal, no big deal.
a minute later I hear
"HEY"
I look up and she is a foot away from my face.
She says, "What's that?" pointing at my book.
I figure she's recognized me and might think that I'm reading for Abse's class. I don't know why I thought this, and as expected, I was wrong.
I say, "Oh, this is for Ethics." and my book has "ETHICS" written across the cover.
She says, "That's Funny."
Then she points at my wrist, where I've written the quote.
She says, "I meant, what's THAT?" pointing much more sternly.
I stare at her, "Oh," I say, "It's from the book. it's a quote I just read that I liked."
She says, "Oh, it's a quote?"
Me: "yeah?"

She then tells me that she thought I was cheating, and that's why she had come over, to accuse me of cheating and and tell me that I "Don't need to do that to be successfull"

BUT since I wasn't cheating she was embarrassed, and I think, relieved.
She also didn't know who the fuck I was and introduced herself, to which I replied:
"Yeah, I know who you are, we had linguistics together last semester. I'm lisa."
she said, "Oh, well, sorry about that. I'm just a busy-body."
I said, "Apparently."


what the fuck? If I saw someone cheating, first, I don't think I would jump to conclusions and assume they were cheating! Fuck you, Harry Potter (as I called her in my class), you don't know me, and you certainly don't have the right to threaten me if I AM cheating.
AGGHHH

2 comments:

annonymoushipopotomus said...

you tell em' gurl

Misha said...

This is ridiculously funny...

and unfortunate on her part. Seriously, there are some interesting characters lurking about ...