Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Way I See It # 332

I'm back in the library, and it feels so nostalgic, I have to admit. Like the blogger I am, I have Starbucks in hand, and am feeling thoughtful. If I can remember, there was always something about Cabell that made me feel insightful, studious, and even a bit inventive. Maybe that's the academic that I know I am.... maybe I just belong in an institution such as this. I just got out of my Linguistics class, and ducked out of the rain for a bit before my Urban Planning course at 7:00. For linguistics homework I had a reading about the sexual bias in language- importantly on Neutral pronouns that aren't. it discussed the common usage of "he", "his", and "man" as neutral pronouns, used to indicate a neutral party. By using these words people are more likely to think of men, rather than women, and it is a sexual bias to use such pronouns instead of ones that are actually nuetral, such as "s/he", "he or she", and "they". I really enjoyed reading the article, but when I got to class today I was disappointed by the class discussion. People either seemed to relish coming off as "intellectual" by second guessing our professor's points, or they sat confused and contested whether or not his points were really making sense to anyone. Well, they were! I got everything fine, and so did a few people, but the ones who spoke the most only made our professor confused, and he appeared to be a complete push over. The class discussion quickly was out of his hands and there were so many tangents, even I couldn't keep up. I hope our next discussion isn't anything like that, I was so frustrated.

I went down to the Commonwealth Times to see if I could nab a spot as a staff writer. Turns out they never got my application, and they aren't hiring at the moment because they don't know their budget. Anyway, the Opinion editor said that I could send in articles that I write, but that she couldn't guarantee that they would run. The only requirement for the articles that I send in is that it has to be factual, and I just can't make up things to write about. It wasn't the visit I was hoping for. I hoping to have an interview with the editor in chief, talk about my experience as a writer, tell him what I was hoping to write about, and see where it went from there. Now all I can do is hope I can catch "Greg" who runs the whole place and see if he will hire me onto the staff, or send in opinion articles and see if they get published.

maybe one thing I would really like to do would be to write a blog about VCU. Maybe not just about me personally, but where people go, post pictures of parties, review restaurants close by, do articles about student activities, the Art community.

There was always that possibility for a "sister-blog" at VCU for the blog my sister Christina wants to start up.... I wonder if she's done anything with that...

I'm thinking about getting a sandwich from Starbucks, as I don't want to go to Shafer because of the rain. That's kind of silly, but Starbucks sandwiches are actually kind of tasty. By the time I get out of Urban Planning it wil be 10, and all I'm going to want to do is go home and do my paper about scientists and such for physics..... which, actually, i could be doing now.


I guess I'll get to it then....

No comments: