Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Way I See It # 315

I'm thinking I want a baseball bat under my bed. Either tonight after Brendan and Sid left I heard noises outside my window, and it freaked me out. tonight is my first night sleeping alone in Richmond, so it's no wonder why I'm up so late. I'll eventually get used to it, but for now I guess I'll sleep with one eye open. Brendan saw my place tonight and said something interesting. He said that my apartment was full of things I need, and that he couldn't see anything used for something frivolous, like games, posters, etc. After he and Sid left I thought maybe I was a boring individual. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I take great pleasure in picking out furniture, and arranging it the way I want. I guess lights used for tasks, and carpets on the floors are my frivolous expenditures, even if they are really "needs" rather than "wants." I remember that Sid used to comment on my love-affair with Ikea by relating it to the views given in the book/movie "Fight Club", in which Tyler Durden remarks that we are so driven by material possessions that we become as insignificant and meaningless as the objects we buy. Chuck Palahniuk typically points out the ideal weaknesses of mankind in his books (at least in the three that I've read; Fight Club, Choke, and bits of Invisible Monsters); these weaknesses often include man's infatuation with the material and superficial. When Sid mentioned this during my rant about my affection for Ikea furniture I had to object. I don't see myself as obsess with material possessions. Humans by nature gravitate towards beauty, and if beauty can be expresses in the simple lines of my Ektorp arm chair, then why can't I have a small obsession with it? While humans shouldn't be scorned for acting humanly, I can imagine faults much more worse than devoting a love to furniture and interior design. If beauty is the vehicle of such materialism, then shouldn't those who prefer those that are beautiful rather than those that are ugly be more easily targeted for being materialistic and superficial?


it's almost 3, I need to sleep.

No comments: