Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Way I See It # 396

I scheduled my advising appointment at the School of World studies this morning for next Tuesday (SLAP ME IN THE FACE I HAVE TO VOTE THAT DAY). I'm excited to finally/officially choose my major as Anthropology, and probably my minor as Art History. This is exciting. I also realized that I am ridiculously ahead in school, and that this can pose as a fork in the road. Presumably I can graduate in the winter of my senior year, thus shaving a semester off of my "Four Year Plan". What do I do? Do I go ahead and get out of school and save a semester's worth of tuition? I'm thinking now that I could work and go to school part time if I space out my senior year just right. I feel a pressing need to earn money for Graduate school, since it's now becoming a necessity instead of a nice thought. Anthropology majors don't get anywhere without higher learning, and this includes even the elusive PhD.

So I'm a sophomore in college (Technically a Junior next semester) and I'm already laying down a five year (even more) plan. I never thought I was that kind of person, but it's become painfully evident that I am, and that I'll spending a majority of my life.... well... my young life, in Academia. Am I upset by this? Not really, I love learning, and I love being busy with work. So this is good.

So here I am jumping the gun wondering where I want to go to Graduate school. I looked at Museum studies (if that's the direction I want to go in) at GW, and that looked promising, but fuck, I don't have the money for that. I need to stay close to hime if I want to save some money with instate tuition. Obviously there's a good possibility for UVA. Although I am bitter that I didn't get in the first time (meh), maybe another go around would land me in Charlottesville. But do I want to be in Charlottesville? I think I would prefer to stay in the city, and I'm thinking Washington DC is possibly the place for me. While not "In state" it's definitely close and has the Smithsonian Institution close at hand.


What am I doing? I need to focus on my Urban Planning class. This is completely out of the way, I have 2-ish more years to think about this.

No comments: