Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Way I See It # 575

I am thoroughly enthralled about my new job. I am working, officially, as an office assistant for VCU Creative Services. My duties include, making deliveries, checking printer paper levels, light cleaning of the conference rooms, retrieving and sorting mail, distributing faxes, and perhaps the largest responsibility I have: Developing, organizing, and maintaining a brand new filing system for the company.

While I have a lot of experience in filing, this job is going to be huge. Their entire basement is filled with disorganized boxes, subjected to water damage, and general disrepair.

My boss said that he was going to put me in charge of the project, and the way they file is up for suggestions. I'm kind of nervous/excited about this. I did some much needed filing in the Student Worker's office this morning, and within maybe half an hour I had all of the files put away, categorized, and ready to be labeled. The guy I worked with, George, was impressed at how quickly everything happened, because apparently the files I was working with had been laying in several piles on the floor for several months.

I don't want to brag.... but I will, because it felt good to get something done and have someone be impressed by it. To be honest, I'm worried about impressing everyone I work for. A lot of higher-ups from the President's Office come in, and I don't want to seem... I don't know... inept?


BUT. It was only my second day of work, and everything has been going well. I've already worked 7.5 hours. which, is almost as much as the bookstore scheduled me for this week.

I think having 2 jobs will be tiring, but I'm going to like it at VCU Creative Services. I won't be standing at a cash register, being watched on cameras, and being generally disrespected.


I'm going to try and blog more.... that's a good goal I think.

No comments: