Monday, June 15, 2009

The Way I See It #571

While I've been struggling to get another part time job, my thoughts seem to be wandering to my future career. I've thought for the longest time that I want to work in a museum, but as I have been exploring internship opportunities, I feel like there is so much more I want to do. Not only do I want to work in a Museum, but I want to do something with antiquities management, like work for the Art protection program with the FBI, or intern with Sotheby's, or at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, or study at The American University of Cairo, or at Texas A&M University's Nautical Archaeology graduate program. I just can't decide, and I'm beginning to think, why should I decide? Can I have my cake and eat it too? Is it possible to do everything I want, or do I have to decide?

I'm also considering becoming a TA, but after some research I'm thinking this might not be possible, I've heard the budget for the School of World studies has been shrinking rapidly...


in other news, Kara is coming to VCU next semester, we finally got an apartment, and I'm so relieved. I think she's going to like it here, at least her living situation will be nice!

Also, I got my bike assembled, finally! It's a dream to ride, and I'm catching on to toe clips rather easily now. I'm pumped for some bike riding this summer.

But more importantly, I have a job interview with VCU Creative Services, and I'm really excited for it. I need this job, because Barnes and Noble is just frustrating.

I was late for work today because my manager changed the schedule and didn't tell me, so I rushed to work in the rain, and didn't even get cleaned up or anything (because I need all the money I can get). At work, I was reprimanded by the top manager for wearing shorts. She said,

"LAURA! Are you wearing shorts.... again?"

I had already talked with her about my shorts, and I haven't worn them since, but in my rush, I didn't change clothes and so I was wearing shorts to work. ALSO. SHE DOESN'T KNOW MY NAME. AND I WEAR A NAME TAG!
I thought she was going to fire me, it certainly seemed like it when she repeatedly asked me if I was aware of the dress code.

Um, I rushed to work IN THE RAIN, and you're yelling at me about shorts? I bust my ass to get there because a manager changed the schedule last minute?

I certainly hope VCS works out tomorrow. sheesh.

No comments: