Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Way I See It # 596

Hamburger/fries
Pasta
KitKats
Ice Cream
Mac N Cheeze

Today has been a fatty-foods kind of day.


I've been feeling uninspired lately. Maybe I'm jealous of all of my friends who are studying art. I wish I had more excuses/motivations to be more artistic. I kind of miss theatre. I really miss reading plays and designing sets and lighting, and putting together inspiration boards. I kind of want to buy a large cork board and go to town. I think that having an inspiration board might be nice. I have a notebook that is slowly being filled, but I might like having something that I can see when I wake up.

I also want to paint a wall with Chalkboard paint. I might settle for the back of the door to my room....

I also have this desire to find dropped notes from people around campus, but I'm not sure how often this happens. I also kind of want to take a few hours and write notes to stick into the books at Cabell.

I also realized that I really miss singing. I wish I had more musical soundtracks to sing along to. My friend Michele recently put up her own piano recordings on facebook and myspace, and I was really impressed! I never pegged her as a musical person, so it was really cool to see that out of the blue. I wonder if I could take a singing class with VCU....

In other news... I need to step up my game. I feel like I am in a rut looks wise. Not to complain or anything, but I used to really care about the clothes I wore and how I look, and something happened since last year, and now I think I look like hell.

Description unavailableImage by dno1967 via Flickr


In my french class this morning we listened to "Victime de la Mode" by McSolaar, which is a song about this girl Dominique who struggles to keep up with the fashion of being thin and beautiful. We talked about peer pressures that people my age face, and body image came up. I think everyone has insecurities. I do, every now and then. My french teacher said "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is the others), which is actually a quotation from Sartre. She asked us if MCSolaar's advice, "L’essentiel est d’ĂȘtre vraiment bien dans sa peau" (It's essential to feel good in your skin) was easy to follow, and we all agreed that it wasn't. Every time I look at a magazine I feel bad, and I'm not even overweight. I think that this super-thin image the media feeds us is really detrimental. I remember writing a paper on appearance discrimination, and for research I looked through magazine and advertisements, and even though I knew the images had been retouched, and I knew that they were spreading falsities, I still wanted to look like that. Even though I was writing about how the media is wrongly persuading girls they aren't good enough, and that it should be stopped, it was affecting me just like everyone else.

However, that was a long time ago, and even though everyone once in a while I feel doubtful, it quickly vanishes... probably just like everyone else in
the world.


Things that have been keeping me occupied:

Modern Art
(above: "Lorette Reclining" by Henri Matisse 1916-1917)


Chocolat Chaud (pour les soirs froids d'automne)
Hot Chocolate for cold Autumn evenings


Candle light
(to blog by...)



The need for a new school bag
(But a persistent lack of funding...)

Working on my Pigeon Pose
"Eka Pada Rajakapotasana"





Images via: Google, Getty, Yoga Journal
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


Now, off to bed!

No comments: