Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Way I See It # 588

I've been thinking about getting a new bag for school, and as I'll be riding around more frequently, going to and from class, and also running around for work, I have decided that getting a bag suitable for biking is the way to go.

Chrome Citizen Messenger Bag
$140

Everyone and their mom seems to have one of Chrome's "Citizen" messenger bags, and while I must admit I was (and still am) smitten with Chrome's numerous color options, the truth is that I will be carrying way more this semester than I think has ever been required of me, and I am not too certain that I will be comfortable with a bag that hangs diagonally. Not only does Chrome offer an array of enticing colors, but their bags are also lifetime guaranteed and completely water proof.

They offer other styles of bags, such as the "Pawn" roll top backpack, which offers the same lifetime guarantee and waterproofing, but letting it sit squarely on your shoulders. Several of my friends have told me that these bags are wonderful to have, and are extremely durable. The roll top allows for expandability for larger documents and packages, which would be useful for my job making deliveries for VCU. I also like the shape and style of this bag, despite the lack of cool colors that Chrome makes available for its messenger bags.


Chrome "Pawn" Roll Top Backpack
$180

But I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on any other popular bag brands, so I researched some sites and found some other bags that I liked, and disliked for several reasons. Because I don't have access to most of the bags, as they are custom made and shipped out independently, I can't test them myself. So these reviews are rather preliminary.


Ortlieb "Velocity" roll top bag
$130

Ortleib gets rave reviews from several bike forums I looked at, and the bag that received the most praise was the "Velocity". I have to say a major reason why I like this bag so much is the color- it matches my bike perfectly. But practically, this bag is made of nylon fabric for water resistance. This bag is NOT water proof, but "splash resistant"; and it is "dust proof" described as impenetrable to dust. I don't think dust is a major concern in the Richmond area as much as rain water is. However, the "Velocity" has a slimmer shape than some of Ortleib's other bags, and has been reviewed as a better buy, and a safer buy, due to the fact it won't obstruct your vision when looking behind you. Personally, besides the color, I don't find the "Velocity" all that aesthetically pleasing, and over all a bit took bulky. I prefer Chrome's "Pawn" if only for the fact that its pockets help break up the strong lines, and give some shape to it. However, Ortleib's price is certainly sweetening the deal.

Freight Baggage Roll Top
($230*)

Freight Baggage is a retailer based out of San Francisco, CA and takes orders through email only. A ball park estimate of the bag pictured (size medium) is about $230, *but depending on the colors you want, and shipping, that is subject to change. These bags look more manageable in size (for my girlish figure) and have ample storage space, unlike Ortleib's "Velocity". Freight's bags are water proof and are almost completely customizable, however you don't have any clear pictures available on the site of what the colors look like. The customization is ideal for my situation, but the price tag and possible shipping costs from CA aren't.

Seal Line is offering a true bucket bag here. I imagine I could take all my laundry without struggling, and also pack for a train ride home quite comfortably. A guy in my Religious studies course had one of these bags and I had always wondered what brand it was. The only draw back I see is its bucket shape, but the color selection makes up for it. The material used is a PU-coated polyester with urethane detailing. From what I saw of the bag in person, and from this material's description, I can only imagine that this bag is ridiculously slippery when wet. I'm not sure how I would like that. However, the roll top provides the water proof seal, and the closure is simple and effective. The price isn't too shabby either.


Timbuk2 "Hemlock"
$100.00

Tibuk2, another popular brand among VCU students, just recently came out with the "Hemlock" bag, the first roll top in Timbuk2's line of messenger bags. A friend of mine has this bag, and it's.... in a word... really cute. I'm drawn to the orange, but being me, I can't bring myself to buy the same exact bag as someone else. I wish Timbuk2 would come out with a customizing feature for this model, or just some other colors! The bag looks great, the price is right, but it doesn't carry the lifetime guarantee like Chrome, or the waterproofing like Seal Line, Freight, and Chrome. And it seems like that is something I just gotta have.


Timbuk2's other new arrival is the "Swig". It isn't a roll top, but the colorful flap sure is nice. This bag is also customizable, so the price is subject to change*, but their color options include cool tones, warm tones, reflective materials for night riding, and also blank artist's canvas which opens up a bunch of creative options for you artsy types. I, for some reason, have my heart set on a roll top, but this bag is nice in its own right. And the price isn't sooo bad. Even if it doesn't have the water proofing or the lifetime guarantee.


So which will I choose? I think I'll wait until my next paycheck arrives to tackle that debate.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

YMFY said...

You are misinformed, Timbuk2 bags have always carried a lifetime quality guarantee.

http://www.timbuk2.com/wordpress_cms/customer-service/the-timbuk2-quality-guarantee/