Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Way I See It # 540

I fell down tonight and really fucked up my legs. I spent a good deal of time washing out my cuts with hydrogen peroxide. That stuff is vile, and reallllly burns. but I think they're clean. To be honest, I'm really paranoid about getting scars now. I'll have to hit up CVS and get some Maderma.

But for a good while my legs will be looking like shit.

and I was just about to get my tan on!

Hopefully with liberal amounts of hydrogen peroxide I can speed up the healing process.

When I got home I was approached by an elderly African American woman. She told me that she had finished her night shift cleaning one of the VCU offices and her car broke down. She didn't have AAA, and she had no money to get home. So I called the cab company and asked how much cab fare would be for her to get home. 12-15 bucks? That seems like a lot! But I didn't want to leave this woman hanging. Although she could have been jiving me, she seemed incredibly sincere, and I believe that she really couldn't get home. So I gave her the money, and she said she would pay me back since she worked right across the street.

I thought about weighing my perspective of human goodness on whether or not this woman keeps to her word. If she returns the money I gave her, then obviously at least there is one good person out there, and if not then I guess I lost $15. In the big scheme of things $15 isn't a big deal. I'll earn multiples of $15 within my lifetime, so the value isn't really the issue. I guess what matters is that I felt compelled enough to help out this woman who didn't have a way to get home. And I guess I'm glad I did that. I don't want to be that cynical person who believes everyone is naturally bad, and that this poor woman was spinning me a story.

End of story, this old woman gave me a kiss on the cheek and called a cab on my phone.
I wonder if I'll ever see her again.

2 comments:

Misha said...

Maderma has saved my life. for real. I need to invest in more b/c I seem to always get horrible scars...

and, I might know the woman you are speaking of...but then again, it could just be a description similar to another person I've chatted with on several occasions. If it's her, I can definitely say she's genuine- and your money isn't gone to a dishonest cause :)

annonymoushipopotomus said...

a good deed is never a waste. we need more people like you today.