Friday, September 18, 2009

The Way I See It # 591

I'm home in Northern VA for the next two days and I feel like a momentum was picking up, but some things have reached a screeching halt. I've been researching internships/studying abroad for the past month or so, and allowed myself (stupidly) to get excited about an internship abroad in London for summer 2010. When I came home tonight all I had to mention was "internship abroad" and "It only costs..." and my mother threw my idea out the window. She says that paying for the opportunity to work somewhere, as an intern, is wasting money.
I guess I can see that. That would be a financial strain on me and for everyone.

But I brought up another program for studying abroad and actually earning school credit, and she basically shot down any thoughts of studying abroad due to financial reasons.
I don't have the money to study abroad, I have a hard time earning money, and I shouldn't assume that my family can pay for it. Needless to say, I was crushed.

So I will have to re-focus my efforts on finding a [paid] internship stateside and put my wanderlust behind me (for now).


I need to make a serious effort in saving my money. I need to get more hours at work, I need to diligently divide my paychecks and save a half of it every 2 weeks, I need to stop spending money on food and use my meal plan, and I need to prioritize where my money goes.

Things to think about/plan for:
1. Trip to Philadelphia
2. Internships
3. working more hours
4. Golden key?

I've been accepted into an International Honor society called Golden Key. I'm not sure if I should apply or not.... thoughts?

No comments: